Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Oh, geez. I, I, wow.

Pony came back. Bleeding from the head and looking shell shocked, but back. Darry jumped up. "Where have you been?" Ponyboy closed his eyes and Darry stopped suddenly. "Ponyboy, what's the matter?" Pony looked scared. "Johnny, he's dead." His voice sounded weird. " We told him about beatin' the Socs and... I don't know, he just died." Everyone was silent. I could see my shock reflected on their faces. I felt like crying but I held it back. I closed my eyes. I didn't wanna live without Johnny! Imagine how Dally was feeling. Ponyboy seemed to read my thoughts. "Dallas is gone." he said, "He ran out like the devil was after him. He's gonna blow up. He couldn't take it." It was silent for a few moments then Two-bit said what everyone was thinking, "So he finally broke. Even Dally has a breaking point." Pony started shaking and quietly Darry said, "Get him to bed Soda." I looked at Pony and said, "Ponyboy, you look sick, sit down." Pony looked like a cornered animal, "I'm ok." He said. "I don't want to sit down." Darry took a step towards him and Pony backed away. "Don't touch me!" Darry looked liike he was going to tell Pony he didn't care, but then the phone rang. It pierced the silence like a bullet. Darry picked it up and said Hello. He listened for a moment then hung up. "It was Dally. He phoned from a booth. He's just robbed a grocery store and the cops are after him. We gotta hide him. He'll be in the lot in a minute." All at once, we ran out of the house. I looked back at pony. He looked like he was drunk, weaving all over the place. We reached the lot at the same time as Dally. He came running in from the opposite direction. Suddenly police sirens filled the air, slowly geting louder. Doors slammed just as Dally reached a circle of light. There was only one car but it seemed like so many more. As Dally reached the light, he skidded to a stop and pulled a dark object out of his clothes. I looked like a gun! You idiot! I thought. You can't point a gun at the cops! Do you have a death wish?! Then it dawned on me. Dally didn't want to live without Johnny. No! I wanted to yell, Stop Dally, please! But it was too late. Gunfire rang in the vacant lot. Dally twisted halfway around as the bullets hit him, a look of grim triumph on his face. He started to crupple on the ground and I knew he was dead. A feeling of hopelessness filled me. What will be do without Dally? I caught Steve stumbling towards Dallys body, sobbing. "Easy buddy, easy. There's nothing we can do now." I was comforting Steve when I heard a cop say, "Hey, look at the kid!" I looked over at Ponyboy. He had fallen to the ground and was looking like Dally. Dead. My first impulse was to yell about how dare they shoot a little kid, but then I realized, he wasn't bleeding and I hadn't heard and more gunshots. I let go of Steve and ran towards Ponyboy. He was out cold. "Darry! Help!" Darry ran over from where he was fighting with the police officer. "Dang it!" He yelled. "I knew he wasn't up for this!" Darry picked him up and ran towards home. I waited at the lot, trying to calm Steve and Two-bit. Two-bit was upset because the cops took his switchblade. "Is that all you're upset about?" Steve asked. "No, but I wish it was." Replyed Two-bit. I saw our car pull up to the lot at Darry honked. I ran to the car and jumped in the front seat. Darry was driving towards the hospital before I had even closed the door. At the hospital, they put Pony through a bunch of tests. They brought him out in a wheelchair, still unconcious. "He has a concussion. He's going to be out cold for a while, but when he comes to, feed him. He'll need to build his strengh up. I don't know what he'll be like when he wakes up. He's been through a lot." Darry thanked the doctor and wheeled Ponyboy out to the car. He put him in the back seat and we drove back to the house. Now, It's four hours later and I'm waiting for Pony to wake up. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment