Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Just before our lovely rumble.

Pony said he saw the soc Randy who was with Bob when he died. he said they had a good talk and that Randy won't be coming to the rumble, he's had enough. I think he's insane. Then, Darry told me Pony had another of his dreams. Those dreams scare Darry. They had mostly gone away. I hope this is the last one. Any way, Two-bit and Ponyboy went to see Johnny. At first the nurses wouldn't let them, but then the doctor came out and said "It can't hurt now." what ever the little so-and-so meant by that. I guess Johnny didn't look so great because the expression on Ponyboy's face when he told me was sorta sick looking. Pony told me the whole conversation, so I'm going to write it here.
Two-bit: Hey Johnnykid.
Johnny(trying to smile): Hey y'all
The nurse said something like, so he can talk.
Two-bit:They treatin' you ok, kid?
Johnny: don't, don't let me put enough grease in my hair.
Two-bit: Don't talk, just listen. We'll bring you some hair grease next time. We're having a big rumble tonight. Too bad you and Dally can't be in it. It's not the first big rumble we've had-not counting the time we whipped Shepards outfit.
Johnny: He came by.
Two-bit: Shepard?
Johnny:Came to see Dally.
Two-bit: Did you know you got your name in the paper for being a hero?
Johnny: Tuff enough.
Johnny looked tired. He was as pale as a ghost.
Two-bit: You want anything besides hair grease, kid?
Johnny: The book. (he looked at Ponyboy) can you get another one?
POny: He wants another copy of Gone With the Wind so I can read it to him. You want to run down to the drugstore and get one?
Two-bit: Ok. Don't y'all run off!
Pony: Dally's gonna be ok. And Darry and me. We're gonna be ok now.
Johnny gets really bad now and closes his eyes, really pale.
Pony: Johnny! Are you ok!\Johnn: Yeah, it just hurts sometimes. It usually don't.. I can't feel anything below the middle of my back.. I'm pretty bad off ain't I POny?
Pony: You'll be ok. You gotta be. We couldn't get along without you.
Ponys right. I can't imagine the gang without Johnny.
Johnny: I won't be able to walk again. Not even on crutches. Busted my back.
Pony: You'll be ok.
Johnny: You want to know something Ponyboy? I'm scared stiff. I used to talk about killing myself. I don't want to die now. sixteen years ain't long enough. I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't so much I hadn't doneyet and so many things I ain't seen. It's not fair. You know what? That time we were in Windrexville was the only time Iv'e been away from our neighbourhood.
Pony: You ain't goona die. And don't get juiced up, because the Doc won't let us see you no more if you do.
They sat in silence for a bit then the nurse comes in and says Johnny, your mothers here to see you.
Johnny: I don't want to see her.
Nurse: She's your mother!
Johnny: I said I don't want to see her! She's probably come to tell me all the trouble I'm causing her and how glad her and the old man will be when I'm dead! Well, tell her to leave me alone. For once. For once tell her to leave me alone.
Johnny struggle to sit up and then he gasped and passed out cold.
Two-bit ran back in and told the nurse to make sure Johnny sees the Gone With the Wind book when he wakes up. Then they decided to go see Dally. But there was Johnny's mom. Standing there. Yelling at the nurse. Insulting Johnny. Two-bit went up to her and said, "No wonder he hates your guts." Then POnyboy pulled Two-bit over to Dally's room and they had a good talk with him about Johnny and the rumble. I was surprised when Pony told me Two-bit handed over his prize switchblade to Dally. I wonder what he's planning. What Pony told me next surprised me. The only thing keeping Darry from being a Soc, was us. And it's true. He could be in collage getting a fancy education. I feel really bad about that and I wish there was something we could do, but there's not. Anyway, Pony told me he was going to the rumble, no matter what. I think he means it. He's doing it for Johnny. I think Pony also spoke to that Cherry Valance Soc, but if he did, he's keeping it a secret. I will find out though. But for now, I've got to go. Wish Johnny luck! He's going to be ok!

1 comment: